Search my blog

Monday, February 11, 2008

Kierra's (age 5) design - Fish #1, Sculpture by Geoff Sandhurst







This is a sculpture based on a design by my 5 year old daughter, Kierra. Both of my children have been sources of inspiration for sculpture. The first picture is the finished sculpture. The process follows below. I took her coloured drawing and made a transparency out of it. Then I enlarged the image on a wall and traced a larger image of her drawing. This became my template. The pieces for the fish were meticulously forged and welded to match the template. It took 31 hours to complete. I started on this piece at the Creative Kids Museum at the TELUS World of Science, Calgary, when I was the artist in residence in Nov/Dec 07. I worked on it in between working on the Great Horned Owl. While one sculpture cooled, I would work on the other, back and forth. This sculpture would sell for $1500.00, if Kierra was willing to part with it! She is pleased with the final result! Great collaboration Kierra!


Below: left is the Transparency and right is the Template.