Search my blog

Sunday, September 15, 2024

Hi Everyone,  Its Geoff's wife Corinne.  Geoff has an entry on exhibit at The Morton, in Grand Rapids, Michigan at ArtPrize,.org.  You can see a few of the digital vingnettes of drawings from the digital display at this link.  His Artist Statement is below..  


 https://www.artprize.org/entries#28811


Artist Statement

Throughout my life I have created what I imagined in various artistic mediums, particularly metal sculpting, in small and large scale. After suffering a debilitating illness in 2016, my health and stamina failed me. I turned my focus to drawing to satisfy my artistic passion. I began to experiment, and found an affinity with drawing on newsprint. A newspaper is stronger when the pages are bundled together. I also was stronger when "bundled" together with the people that support me. I found solace in this creation of “Seeing Things;” my attempt to keep myself relevant and connected to my family and the outside world. “Seeing Things” is composed of original drawings inspired by newspaper images. In these drawings, you will see the things revealed to me that dwell in the spaces, shadows, and hidden places of newspaper images. These works are influenced by my fascination with African, Mayan and Canadian West Coast indigenous art. I use soft graphite pencils to rough in the raw images and release what I see. I harden the image with black ink. I shade with blending sticks. The vegetable ink may be partially removed from the newsprint using an eraser. I use white pencil crayon to highlight. It may take two to four weeks to finish one drawing with an average of 20 to 50 hours per drawing and I work on 1 to 3 drawings at a time. In concurrence with the reduction of physical media, such as newspapers, the drawings are scanned and cropped to curated vignettes of what I “see”. I hope you enjoy seeing the world through my eyes.

There is voting once a day, if you would like to take an opportunity to support Geoff.  Or just take a peek at all the amazing artists entered in ArtPrize.  

All the best!


Corinne


No comments: